I took a 2-day commercial for Am*bien and it was an internet ad (viral) which is occurring more often these days. The advertising arena is changing rapidly and our union (which represents various technical departments) is trying to lock down contracts for new media. It's an interesting challenge for them and I wonder if they are too 'old-school' for this. I have to get a better idea of what the market is like right now before I offer my opinion from the trenches. I am not even a vested member yet (5 years) I only joined 2 years ago. The first Asian female, I believe, I'm not really sure. It's not a large local but it can be very difficult to get into - testing and then the biggest hurdle - balloting by current members. So basically you need some older guy to stand up for you and for the other members to vote you in. The catch-22 situation is that - if you aren't allowed to work on union jobs 'cos you aren't in yet, then how will union members know who you are to vote you in? Inevitably, most pass the test (it costs $750 to take it) and then fail the ballot. (Another $200 to be on the next ballot - now you get the idea) I failed the ballot the first time and passed the next - just lucky I guess.
The first meeting was quite interesting - after years of hearing how the legendary Local 52 members who are these old cantakerous 3rd generation Irish types dominate the scene, it's quite eye-opening to see that people like me can also affect the direction of this union. And through this union, the industry. I think after I am vested, I would like to get involved in more of this.
I have never thought of myself as a unionist before but now I see the signs. I have always fought for the underdog. And back when I was non-union I was always the chief negotiator. I detest George Bush. All the parts are in place!
My movie in CT got pushed a few days so I get the weekend to prep properly and emotionally psych myself to leave town. I'm not a fan of out-of-town jobs unless they pay extremely well (which this doesn't) but it's close enough for me to come back if I need to.
Big City
1 year ago
2 comments:
Good luck with the union thing :)
Ambien makes me hallucinate. I just thought you might want to know that. I took it under my Dr's supervision during the last stages of my pregnancy and all I remember was telling Mitch that there were too many people in the room, and to turn off the lights. It was completely dark and there was no one in the room. He was wigging out asking if he needed to call an Ambulance. Well, he didn't. He googled it and saw the side affect was hallucinations. So the next day we told the Doctor who wrote in big red letters all over my file "Allergic to Ambien"
:)
I think we are a unionist family. I am a union case worker, dad was expelled from school for demonstrating against the british (I swear he has communist instincts when he was young and I think he is still a closet socialist)...
Post a Comment