Hosted my first book club meeting last night - it was fun. It's my 2nd meeting - the book was 'The Handmaid's Tale'. Everyone got to try Vietnamese coffee and Malaysian cakes (kuih lapis & ghee cookies). It's funny - nothing feels more American than hosting a book club meeting - I don't really have friends here outside the movie business (you will know why if you read my previous post - 1900 hours and going back to Malaysia for 2 months a year isn't conducive to a civilian life). What friends I have belong to Mike - couples extended from his friends. The Grays are the only real exception to that and even then, I met Sarah on a film shoot.
So it was interesting to host something where I only knew these women peripherally and none of them are in the business. I like that. No shop talk or anything like that and I am truly left to my own conversational devices. It's quite a challenge for me. We ended up talking about other things which is great too, I guess that's what it's all about. I mean, when I told Mike about the book club, he was even surprised we talked at all about the book. I guess in his mind, 'book club' is a euphemism for drinking wine and gossiping. To that end, he and his best friend Goose had their own book club meeting last night.
First day back at work yesterday but it was an easy day inside at Mike's office's studios (he produces web content in-house for a large publishing company that's expanding their brand to web content). I took a low budget job starting next week in Connecticut. It's only an hour from the city and they are putting us up in a hotel and giving us per diem so I will be back home for weekends. It's only 5 weeks so it won't be too bad I hope. I'm not ready to start my year - the weather is not cooperating and New York technicians spend their work lives outdoors mostly in this business. But my bank account is ready for the new year so I must heed its call!
Big City
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment