Sunday, November 23, 2008

Job

Started a new job 2 weeks ago and it took me away to Montauk for a week. Beach towns out of season are actually quite nice because it's quiet and desolate and locals are curious but friendly. But the scheduling was such that because of the work we had to do, we were moving once every day (a company move is a big deal; it just takes a really long time to pack up and go) and doing a night exterior every day (which is always hard on the lighting department)

Not to forget, the temperatures by the water are always 10 degrees worse than the city and a night exterior on the water is no joke.

I came back from Montauk 2 days ago, wind burned, frozen and very tired. We also did a 90 hour week which didn't help. I felt bad 'cos I abandoned Mike to finish up cleaning the house cos we have houseguests from SF the weekend I came back from Montauk meaning I had no time to do anything.

For the next 20 days, we are in one location in NJ so it should be a lot better. Of course, I am Shop Steward again, which is something people like me to do because I am opinionated and these production types are afraid of me. I don't really care. It's not like I really need these people for more work.

I feel like I made some crucial mistakes on this job and I resolve not to do them again. It's very complicated, but I think the lack of communication which has happened several times on this job could have been facilitated better if I was more on the ball. But I was distracted by so many other things, I just didn't have time.

I got back to NYC 2 days ago and the house looked great. I was proud of Mike - of the 4 of us, he has the most skill in home repair but the least motivation but he managed to get through the list and we are hosting our guests this weekend and not feeling too embarrassed.

On another note: the Mayor's Office campaign is out in parts. There's the print part which they gave me a comp card and I looked terrible. The lighting is awful They are also in the midst of finalising 4 spots and finishing up cuts for another 4. These spots will run on local TV as well as taxicabs and NY1 and Time Warner. If I had known all this at the beginning I would have made a better effort to look more presentable. There are prints all over buses in NYC and in bus shelters. Mortifying.


No comments: