The job and the year is winding down and I couldn't be happier. On Tuesday it was 17 degrees (and that's fahrenheit) and I froze. Then on Thursday it poured nonstop (and I mean for 14 hours) making my day and my commute more miserable than I could have believed compared to Tuesday. The location is a converted barn and the garden was a mudbath. Then today the ground froze and all the tracks in it were frozen in place making it so uneven and an ankle killer.
The movie is actually turning out to be something good. I'm quite happy to be part of the project even though they keep falling behind every day and Production refuses to allow overtime. Finally it got to the point that the AD department (Asst Directors - they schedule the shots) had to ask for an extra day's work. Seeing as we already work Mon-Fri, that meant working on a Saturday and everyone gets time and half money. Hardly any money-savings at all. Production probably now sees the folly of their ways but it was too late - our weekend was ruined. I am also the Shop Steward (as it always seems to be) and I told them we wouldn't work if they didn't pay us travel time either. It might seem opportunistic to some but honestly, I wanted them to say 'ok let's not work'. We ended up working and now the crew loves me.
It's rough working on a film in December. Probably the only thing rougher is working on a film in January but I'm usually back in Malaysia by then. Our work is so exposed to the elements that it just makes everything that much harder when you have no respite. My makeshift office (the truck) is not much of a sanctuary even with the 2 heaters I have up.
But since we are not going back to Malaysia this year, I only have more of this climate misery to look forward to. The bright spot is that the new apartment is so warm compared to the old place we used to rent that I actually look forward to going home merely to just sit there and absorb the heat. The old apartment was on the top floor and had 2 skylights - it was great for light (something I loved) and bad for insulation (something I hated).
One more week left on Paper Man and we actually have to work since we didn't win the lottery. Last week as a crew-bonding exercise, I started a pool to buy the Mega Million lottery cos it was $207 million but only ended up winning $2. Even Lisa Kudrow gave $2 which I thought was nice. I was asking some wardrobe guy if he was interested and I didnt see her standing there. Once I did though, I thought it would be even more awkward not to ask her. (It's strange with actors - you can't get too palsy walsy with them without them making the move otherwise it's deemed rude) So I said "hey Lisa, you wanna throw some money into the pool for the lottery". She was really nice although the irony of taking money from her was too much for me even. She even threw money into the dollar day we did today (another money making scam where everyone throws one dollar bill with their name on it and the director pulls the name out at the end of the day and the winner gets the pot - this is how bored we get). Obviously, I don't think Lisa put her name on the bill - that would be ridiculous, people. She probably put "for the crew" or something nice. I like her.
So it's turning out to be a nice job crew-wise. As I said earlier, the weather is wanting. And I don't think only having one day off this week is that hot either. I have a sinking suspicion we might have to do next Saturday as well and there's going to be an uprising if that's the case since we are so close to the holidays.
My new job is in a studio except that in New York, we only have 3 real studios and this isn't one of them. Everything else is a glorified warehouse. That means poor heating. Hopefully it won't be so bad - I mean it will have a roof - anything beats being outside. I'm excited to work on it - the cinematographer is Phillippe Rousselot and I have worked with him before. Also being a set person is a nice change from being in 'management' where you don't even touch many lights during the day. I love that I can switch roles on such a regular basis. Being on set with a legendary cinematographer is going to be awesome.
Attended the Mayor's Office launch of the PSAs. I was ok with how it turned out. They screened it on a lovely flat screen tv at the place and so it looked nice. The post production was very high quality. I even got to speak to the editor who told me he had really looked forward to meeting me because my interview was the most 'real'. He said he had cut it differently at first to include more of my off-screen humour but the Mayor's office didn't want that angle and so this is what we are left with. It was a strange night. Not my style at all but it was a novelty. Mike said he was very proud of me and I basked in the glow of the attention. Lots of people came up to me to compliment me - total strangers - and I then understood how actors must feel when it seems like everyone knows you when you have no idea who they are. My co-workers said they were very proud and I too began to realise that I am doing something for my industry and that is indeed an honour especially since I have only been back in New York this time around for 5 years. (and in the union for 4)
The glow is a little dimmed by Mike being laid off. They axed the entire production division at Time Inc. I was very sad and worried for a few days and I couldn't figure out how to leverage my new-found minor fame to getting him work but I think he's going to land on his feet. The brands at Time Inc are still producing internet content and most want him to freelance produce it for ever more money than he was making as a staffer. This means more time for both of us and not really a reduction in pay. His benefits have always come from me anyway (through the union) because they are great benefits, we actually never signed up with Time Inc when he was there.
I pray this works out and I have faith it will.
Big City
1 year ago
1 comment:
I am so sorry to hear about Mike :( I hope everything works out...
So when are you going to send me an autographed picture?
Post a Comment