Friday, April 02, 2010

12 weeks

Man, time does crawl. I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks since the last post. I feel like this kid will never come out of the first 3 months...

We had one great week when he dropped one of the feeds at night, either the 10pm or the 1am so I would wake up in the puddle of milk which was quite a novelty for me since I have been under producing since he was born. We were all sleeping plenty even for Mike who thinks 6 hours is way too little and I thought we had turned the corner.

Then this week, we are back to the newborn phase and even worse, the reappearance of the witching hour at 7pm-10pm when he cries and cries and needs to be soothed and bounced. He usually goes to sleep from exhaustion having cried in one of our arms. I thought that disappeared last week and diagnosed it as not having enough naps during the day.

These days he's napping at least 3-5 hours a day and I'm supposed to see his night sleeping improve. But it hasn't really and I'm really disappointed and sad. Poor Mike is getting very frustrated - for a baby that's 12 weeks, I really expected a big change and so far, we haven't seen anything different from 6 weeks ago...except now he only naps in the sling and I have to wear him for 3-5 hours a day.

The nanny starts on Monday which makes me nervous, if I get mad at him how could she stay calm? Or would it be the opposite - would she be ok with it since it's just a job and nothing personal...? Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and all my efforts to get him to nap have not really shown any results I can boast about. So much for problem solving.

Work starts Monday and I have resigned myself to not seeing the baby till October. Early calls and late nights means he will (hopefully) be in bed when I come home and I would leave in the morning before he woke up. If not, then the other case scenario is I come home to a crying baby and leave home a crying baby. Both scenarios are unlikeable. I like our nanny so far, she's sweet and I can tell she likes long term commitments, her last baby she saw from 5 months to 6 years. I don't have the heart to tell her she is only on for 6 months and maybe if I get a sweet gig after this job, she might be on for a while. It depends.





No comments: