The process of unknowing someone is actually a lot more complicated that
you think. Maybe just thinking about it complicates matters the way it
wouldn't if you just simply neglected returning an email or a phone
call.
I have lost/let go of so many life changing friendships in the past 5
years that the potential loss of yet another one hardly bothers me
anymore. It's like your virginity. After the first one, the next 30 are
just a blur.
The trick is you don't want a confrontation or a break up, you just want
a casual backslide. Hey don't mind me, I'm just chilling while ignoring
your frantic cries for help that even the $180/hr therapist won't
answer.
Just a small hardly noticeable demotion from great friend to burdensome
emotionally wrecked friend to an occasional guilt-charged
visit/call/email to nothingness. It looks easier than it seems.
I envy those who have had the skill and subtlety to have done it to me
in the past. I hardly even noticed when they dropped out of my radar.
When everything in my life started shitting the bed, go south/pear
shaped/spaghetti, tits/belly up, and I picked up my own pieces I
appreciated the gift they gave me. (Not very different from the one my
parents gave really on my 18th birthday)
Maybe she will say the same one day. A friend who cannot be there for
you might as well not be there at all. We could at least save the
emotional energy for other things.
1 comment:
sometimes the unknowing of someone actually can happen when you don't know it's happening....
people change and slip away right in front of you...
glad to see that someone put words to what i have done and felt with others
Post a Comment