Monday, October 15, 2007

Sporting Weekend


I started my personal fall season very slow...I only worked a day last week (on a kid's show no less so it was really slow). The sudden change in weather and my cold has made me quite lazy and even talks of a possible strike looming (because of the Writers Guild) hasn't done much to change my work ethic...

I had a long tiring summer and my body and my mind needs a bit of a break.

Not working at all, however, isn't much of an option so I'm taking a day on 'New Amsterdam' - a FOX tv show that's coming out (don't bother watching I did the pilot and it's kinda stupid) and I have a 4 day documentary next week. That documentary is going to be tricky because the cinematographer is a French lady who is very very picky and I have to be on top of my game.

It's actually deceptive sometimes - shooting 4 days requires at least a few days of prep so you end up working on the job longer than you think and unless it's a movie, generally shorter jobs require it and don't pay for the phone calls, the discussions or the research you have to do to prep for a shoot. Still it's part of the business and it's not uncommon to cover guys at work while they make long phonecalls or go online to draft equipment lists etc.

Had a really classic sporting weekend almost accidentally. Our friends invited us to a NY Redbulls game on Friday - NY's local Major League Soccer team. They've already clinched a playoff spot so it was sorta a meaningless game. But it was nice to see friends although the high number of kids at the game did reduce the swear words we generally use.

Then on Sunday we had tickets to the Jets-Eagles game. We are Eagles fans and our friends are Jets fans but it's not a divisional rivalry and we are both losing teams so the atmosphere was generally genial. I teased my husband who didnt wear any Eagles gear but to be fair to him, the last Eagles-Giants game (a divisional rival and another NY team) he went to at Giants Stadium was very miserable because he wore an Eagles jersey and was hassled and harrassed at every point by several drunk Giants fans...If you wear an opposing team's jersey in the home stadium, you have to be prepared for abuse. For the Jets game, I wore an Eagles t-shirt (that I could easily cover with a jacket in case it got rowdy). Turns out there were loads of Eagles fans. I have promised never to mention that, however, that Mike's colours actually run.

It surprises me sometimes, how I have come to love watching American football the way I never thought I would. October is usually baseball season but for the 3rd straight year, the Yankees have not made the playoffs and NY is in quite a gloom about it. This is a baseball town and the over-priviledged, ever-entitled New Yorkers are upset about the Yankees. I have no baseball team so I adopted the Yankees. Mike accuses me of being a bandwagon fan - that is, until I bring up the fact he didn't support his team on Sunday and I braved certain death. My American football credentials are now quite solid.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

what kids show did you work on?