This week has been much better. We did 2 12 hour days, 1 13 hour day and 1 10 hour day! Lordy! I took today (Friday) off because I have tickets to see the Cure! My very capable friend John is taking over for the day. He is also a Best Boy and works with the same guys I hire a lot so it's a very seamless transition.
I think the Producers have realised they just can't push us much more and the crew is only just now starting to gel better and move quicker. This week has been a downright disappointment in terms of hours (and this is a good thing!)
Our union vice president came down 2 days ago and it helped too. He's a name to be reckoned with here in New York - most producers tread warily around him. I took great reassurance from his presence and settled a lot of outstanding issues - including the turnaround thing. I can safely say, I think we have turned the corner. He complimented me on my negotiation skills and in the big picture of my career (running this union) this is a big step up.
Week 4 is deeper in NJ but this crew seems resolute and we are over the hump. You can always tell because people ask you if you have another job planned yet, that kind of thing. Looking past this job, already. We have a holiday weekend and then one more week after. The schedule opens up too as they have 3 days of shooting in an Airstream scheduled which is going to be very easy. I think the next 2 weeks will look nothing like the first 2 weeks.
On another note, I did 2 days on this Uma Thurman job and my friend, John who was the Best Boy on that got me the most amazing wrap gift - a Kate Spade bag! Apparently they were big sponsors of the film. I was very pleased. Add that to watching the Cure tonight, this has been an excellent week indeed.
Big City
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment