I have been formally offered the tv movie starting Sept 1. We will probably scout the week before. I will be the Rigging Gaffer and the rates are halfway decent since it's a 'made for tv contract'. It will be fixed hours and not too bad - day schedules and shorter 10 hour days. I will make less money than being on shoot crew but I will at least be able to have a life and get this house thing sorted.
It will be good for my resume also so I think on all levels it's ok. I do regret not being able to float around and day-play on other jobs which I had intended to do after this. I need to meet more people as well as see other big jobs. How else can I learn if I don't? But I do get a week off and I put some feelers out there and see who bites. It's a change to just be a lighting tech and nothing else.
I still want to day play on big shows and have more reponsibility on smaller shows but if I keep doing the small shows I feel like I'm missing out. Such is the province of a freeelancer I suppose.
Mike comes back from Baltimore today. He doesn't know I blog so much about our life I think but I want to share an email his boss wrote him:
Hello Mike,
This note will probably find you half asleep and I am sure a bit out of it. I wanted to thank you and congratulate you for a wonderful job in production managing your first television show. Your calmness and eagerness is to be praised. You have all the talents of a great producer – clarity, dedication to detail, production knowledge and respect for crew. I am proud to have you as our head of production and expect that this is the beginning of something that all of us will look back on and remember fondly as a positive vibration in our culture. HEROES is going to be great and you are a major part of that.
The job they are referring to is a documentary series for Turner about Heroes amongst Us. Ordinary people doing really great things.
I was very proud of him (although I know some of that is the usual buttering up) but at least all our crazy hours havent gone unnoticed.
Big City
1 year ago
1 comment:
Ok, I read the notes and all I saw was "HEROES". I was like "DAMN!, that's a great show..." then kept reading :) Still a good thing though, awesome work! What show are you working on?
Post a Comment