Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Spillover

The personal side to being in limbo with this house is that I am working splits/nights and I have difficulty sleeping past noon anyway even though I go to bed around 6-7am every day. Then at 11 or noon, I start getting phonecalls from the lawyer or real estate broker or the Grays and my personal day starts. My actual work day only begins when the personal stuff ends, usually around 5pm. It's tiring.

I am almost completely packed except for the computer & tv. I still need my entertainment even if my clothes and kitchen are completely in boxes. Every time I need to go anywhere in the apartment, I navigate through boxes and milkcrates.

Of course I also have to avoid tripping over our Afghani houseguest. Yes Zohra is back from LA and staying with us for 4 months! I thought the timing was perfect since we were supposed to move Aug 1 but with this house thing being in limbo I now have 3 people in this boxed up apartment with very different schedules. She's working too but her hours are normal 6a-6p. Mike is 8a -7p and I'm on splits/nights. Her days off are random, mine are Fri/Sat and Mike's are Sat/Sun. Between the 3 of us, we actually have quite a good selection of couple time and friend time and threesome time (get your head out of the gutter). It's actually working out ok. Zohra is our cogenitor anyway.

You don't know what a cogenitor is? You don't remember that Star Trek episode (Enterprise with Scott Bakula) where there's this race of people who have 3 in a relationship instead of 2. I think it's quite ideal. Chores & groceries are definitely easier and I think in that episode all the childbirth fell onto the cogenitor. (Also ideal). Zohra takes my strange ideas in stride. Her birthday is only a day after mine after all. We met on 'Trading Spouses' years ago and have been good friends since, I have missed her since she moved to LA. She is the one person I have seen Mike totally comfortable with in his space. Even when he had roommates back when he was living in that bachelor s***hole he was particular. I think it's cos her aura is very reminiscent of mine so his neuroses are fooled. Either way he wasn't unhappy when I told him she was crashing at our place for 4 months. The last time that happened in our tiny apartment her Finnish boyfriend was also in town and we had 2 on the air mattress in the dining room and then his friend needed a place to stay and all of a sudden we had 5 total in our 750 sq ft apartment. Mike started to object then. I tend not to care about these things but he does. Everyone needs a place to stay sometimes, I have often depended on the kindness of strangers,

Mike is actually in Baltimore on a pretty important shoot so he was stressing for a little bit. Now it's just Zohra & I and she's going to Chicago for 3 days (she is shooting 'Real Housewives of New York City' - it sounds awful who watches these things?) so I'm getting this limbo apartment for a few days by myself with my weekend coming up. I really can't wait.

No comments: