Did I say I wanted to tear this wall down? I can't figure out why I would want to do such a dumb thing. I was just too tired to focus on it and now it's happening tomorrow. I know I only worked 50+ hours last week and that's a paid vacation in this business but I'm just beat. Somehow I planned tomorrow ages ago and Mike took off running with it.
His brother is coming over and although I offered lots of other hands - I have tons of men friends who would love nothing but to take a wall down - Mike wants to tackle it with his brother only. Even his dad can't make it 'cos they have to go to Boston for a sick friend so now we have the 2 brothers and only really half a day to do the demolition. I just smell a disaster.
I predict the work will carry onto Sunday and it's going to be a huge mess. Thank goodness I'm not working on Monday in case I need to do some major clean up. I scout a feature that starts Feb 23 but it's as Rigging Gaffer and only really part time so I don't think it will be too bad.
I went to Physical therapy today and she said I was progressing well - that I needed to stretch more to get that limp out of my walk. I think I'm going to buy an exercise ball. It seems like a good way to stretch and my resolution to make my health a priority this year includes stretching more and using the gym more (note I didn't say joining a gym 'cos I've joined gyms - just never gone!) When I was on the bike, I asked one of the therapists to hand me a magazine and he hesitated as he handed me 'Oprah' asking "Would you prefer the New Yorker?" I know I was wearing glasses and all but I don't know why he pegged me as a New Yorker reader. I took it as a compliment but immediately refuted it by grabbing the Oprah magazine. That will teach him to give in to stereotypes!
Battlestar Galactica is 7 more episodes to the end and it's crazy. Mike tunes in occasionally he's not as into it as me but that show is so dark in many ways and I always think if there were only 39,000 people left in the entire universe I truly believe we would try to destroy one another just as much as we do today when there's 6 billion. Deep inside we have no love for our fellow man.
I worked on a behind the scenes shoot for Gossip Girl yesterday for German television. The Germans are funny ones. When we tease them for not having a sense of humour, they always stiffen and deny it (immediately affirming it). There isn't a culture I relate less to than the Germans. I had to spend 12 hours with a bunch of them yesterday and it was trying. Did you know that Germany is the 2nd largest market for American tv? They consume that drivel just as much as we do. It's the tv shows they love though - not the comedy I imagine. They lap up
'Desperate Housewives' and 'Grey's Anatomy' and the ilk. 'Gossip Girl' is right up their alley.
Sherlock Holmes wrapped on Wednesday. It was a nice shoot - everyone was pretty chill. I would have liked to have more laughs but this crew isn't like that. The NY gaffer called me an 'Oriental princess' as in "tell our Oriental princess to stop standing there and help". Other guys in the crew were offended by his language but I didn't really care. Actions speak louder than words - he kept hiring me back means he values my contribution...how he feels or refers to Asians is not my business after all he's just an ignorant mic. (I'm kidding!!) I don't really believe in political correctness per se but I do think it comes from a good place (ie to protect the feelings of others) but I think his honesty is ok too. They asked me to come back on Thursday but I was already booked on something that paid heckuva lot more. Oriental princesses have to work too.
Zohra leaves in a few days and the Vu-Lees move in. It's the right thing to do in this economy - we have a basement that fully kitted out like an apartment (it had tenants when we bought the place) Why not get some extra rental? In today's uncertain market and Mike not having a stable future in a month or so, the reduction in mortgage will be a safety net. However having another couple there will be strange though I hope it wont be too intrusive. I know the Grays dont like the idea as much but then again, they both have steady jobs.
I will miss Zohra. She wasn't like a normal tenant ; she would wake up and shower and then come hang out in our apartment. She also mostly cooked in our apartment. It was a nice arrangement and like having a adult child. She has and always will be our cogenitor - the 3rd person in the relationship. If only I can get her to bear us a child, we would be set. (I know - Mike and Zohra think I'm strange when I reference this Star Trek episode but I think it's a perfect arrangement) I wouldn't treat her as bad as the Vissians treated their cogenitors.
Big City
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment