Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Winter months

I can't believe January is done. It feels like I didnt do anything and yet the month just sped by anyway. I have nothing to show for it really, especially money!

Physical therapy goeth...I told them I wasnt being challenged enough and what a mistake that was 'cos now they take me to the gym and it's a hard workout there. I feel like I've regressed which is worrying but I have to keep faith and hope for the best. My 26 year old physical therapist asked me today if I was married. I laughed. When I told him not only was I married but also 37, to say he was surprised is mildly putting it. It was a nice feeling. Like I tell my husband, I think in good lighting and with just the right amount of alcohol, I can still pull my share of the 24 year olds.

My new job starts next week which means prepping this week - scouts, meetings and whatnot. I find it the most tedious part of the process but also the most necessary. A bad prep makes a very bad job indeed. But it's not hard to play catch up if the job is too overwhelming I like to take a bite out of it one week at a time. Schedules change so often anyway. A little industry knowledge: we start with a white schedule (schedule printed on white paper, duh!) then we move on to Blue, Pink and I think the next is Yellow followed by Buff and Goldenrod. Im not exactly sure about the order since I am not an office coordinator type of person but any of those Production people could tell you. Then we cycle back to white (Double White) Some tell stories of Double Buff and we all know how bad that must be. Movies are like big rolling balls...once we start it's very difficult to stop. The best you can hope for is some steering here and there. Changing a schedule causes chaos.

I'm only rigging gaffer on this one so it comes to about 7 days of work total. Very little rigging on this one - they just dont have the budget. Hence, I will fill the rest of the week as a regular electrician (who knows more) a few times a week - J., my friend lets me pick and choose the days. I only want to work about 3-4 days week anyway.

The Mayor's office campaign is playing all over the city but it seems like the ads in the cabs are reaching the most people (judging by the number of random texts I get from people) Taxis these days have a screen in the backseat and I personally hate it. It makes me feel dizzy watching tv while the cab stops and starts. I get a few texts a day telling me I am famous. Because of these ads, the Women In Film & Television has invited me to be a panelist next month during an event for Women's Career Month at the Brooklyn Public Library. When I went to the union meeting last week, the President came up to me and said "Iris, right?" and shook my hand. I was quite pleased he recognised me. Of course I'm not sure he's the best President we should be having but that's another entry another day.

The tax credits for New York State which have been highly integral in this business' success in NY are probably going to disappear with the next budget. It is bad news for the film business indeed. I find it ridiculous that movies are the lone bright spot in the economy out there and with 19,000 jobs on the line that the State can be so short sighted not to re-fund a highly successful program. But I'm not a politician so what do I know.

I got a call today to gaff a commercial. My first Union commercial. The DP and I have worked together before on a MTV show called "Room Raiders" years ago. He is starting to get more union work and found out I am union so he called me. I am quite excited and pleased. It's been a while since I have felt challenged and this is probably the next step. I hope I don't screw it up.

No comments: