Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Being inside in January is a blessing...


2nd unit work is slow...we are shooting next to the main unit so there's a lot of standing down while they shoot (noise issues). It's perfect for my knee really since we sit around a lot. I'm expected to stand much more than I do but everyone knows about my bum knee so it's forgiven. On any regular job, we stand for a majority of 12 hours and it's frowned upon to sit down usually. I don't care - my health is more important than a bad impression. The 2nd unit gaffer only really booked me for 2 days but it's Day 4 now and he hasn't said not to come back so I keep showing up every morning. I can't say I really like him but I don't care to. The main unit is definitely where my friends are at and the bosses there are so much cooler and nicer but beggars can't be choosers - at least I'm working inside and only 15 minutes from my house. I am not complaining at all. Best part is - the director doesn't like to work long hours so our call time is 730am and we are done by 630p. It's brilliant. Obviously we are not making as much since overtime is how we really make our money in this business but I don't mind. I don't want a 12hour day - 10 1/2 is fine with me.

I get a lot of RDJ and JL sightings which is ok. I'm not huge fans of either but RDJ is pretty hot. My friend Zohra is very envious she's had a crush on him since she was a teenager. I think he looks too thin in real life.

I'm probably only working this one week on Sherlock Holmes since everything wraps next Tuesday. The wrap is supposed to be another 2 weeks but they won't ask me to do it and I wouldn't agree either. It would be hard work and a lot of cable - something I am not a fan of usually and definitely not with this knee.

This crew hasn't really impressed me either, with their talent nor their personalities. They are old timers - an Irish family long entrenched in the union. I have no issue with that at all, I believe in that, as a matter of fact - but this family isn't really one I like. Another family I have worked with (the Dolans) are my favourite and were instrumental in getting me in this union. It's always like this - you sometimes gel really well with some crews and sometimes it's just a bad fit. I don't fit with them well at all. They are leery of me being a female first and Asian second. No harm done, giving me a week when there's loads of white men out there is already exemplary (although my friends on the main unit have a lot to do with that) so I consider this as owing them one and if the Quinlans ever call me to work I would definitely say yes but I wouldn't really stay in touch with them. I'm pretty sure that feeling is reciprocated.

This job has a high amount of English people - there are accents all over the place. It's quite nice - reminds me of working in the UK again. They are fascinated by the amount of food that's laid out for us. Breakfast is a spread (juicer, orange squeezer, omelette bar, waffles, pancakes, and cooked to order - every kind of breakfast) and then at 11am, there's some hot snacks like pasta, rice or sandwiches. Lunch is at 1pm and then at 4pm, we get a cheese plate and some kind of soup. Of course, all day long we get craft service which is just a smorgasbord of cookies, candies, chocolates, fruit, cold cuts tea and coffee. I can imagine coming from England where they only have tea and coffee all day and cucumber sandwiches at 3p this must be a novelty. I have seen the 2nd unit director taking pictures on his Iphone.

I hate the weather in January. I now remember why I flee to Malaysia this time of the year. Next year I am not staying for sure.

2 comments:

Gabriel Ng said...

Great, bext year CNY is in KL, lots of visiting, incl hopefully our new house...

Gabriel Ng said...

next, not bext... lol