Sunday, March 01, 2009

My first Commercial

The first week of the job went ok as first weeks go. The first 2 days we did 16 hours back to back which wasnt surprising if you look at the fact that the dp has the reputation he has. In fact as we were shooting in the Upper East Side a grip friend of mine who just happened to be walking home from another job said to me, "well, it can't be a so-and-so job, 'cos I still see some equipment not being used" I thought it was funny.

I got a call to gaff this Lactaid commercial tomorrow. Commercials have very short turnarounds, I got the call a week ago and now we are shooting. I should be more nervous than I am but I think it's because the set up isn't too complicated and anyway, not beyond my capability. Which is why I've never wanted to gaff too early in the union the way so many of my friends have.

Having said those brave words, I'm still slightly nervous and to make it worse, there's a snowstorm tomorrow - supposedly the worst of the season - they are projecting 6-10" and the location is 45 mins away in NJ. That is the annoying part and instead of jumping into the crew van, I have to drive because I am bringing some of my kit. Honestly, driving in a snowstorm to work is what's making this whole thing not as fun.

Anyway, I have an adequate crew size of me plus 4 guys. 3 I know and one came highly recommended so I think I'm going to be ok. The dp is pretty intense and I hope he and I learn to get along tomorrow cos I'm not intense on set at all. In fact, I deliberately play it down. There's always too many egos and personalities on a commercial - the client, the agency, the director and the dp. It's crazy.

I've been thinking of doing more commercials this year and this is my initial foray. More money, better hours. I will miss the camaraderie of feature crews and the length of jobs and obviously, the ultimate goal of making a movie can never be denied. I didn't go through the lengths of what I've been through to sell milk or whatever.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Irene C L Ng said...

Good luck!

It's always like this isn't it - I could do consultancy which pays a lot but less rewarding as I don't get to publish...