Serene came to stay with us a few days ago. She will be here for a month. She's interning part time at Mike's office and I have given her some contacts and she's going to be interning on a short film next Monday too. I think she will end up working 3-4 days a week.
I worry she will get bored during the weekend so I have picked jobs that have as many young people on them as possible and Mike's office has a young crew (but they are all boys) so hopefully her social life will pick up too. I feel bad having her help us renovate the house during the weekend- she insists she's not bothered and gets up at 7am and goes to bed early. Mike says she's the strangest 21 year old he's ever known. He doesn't know what homebodies we are in this family. I have had to develop my social skills considerably moving to this country and working in this business but at heart, I just want to stay home and read a book.
We will bring her around the Lower East Side today cos we have brunch with friends so it will be a nice day to see the hipper side of Manhattan. I also bought tickets to a Yankee game next week with a friend from work and he's a huge baseball fan so it will be a nice experience. We've tried to incorporate her into our social lives so she's going to see Wilco in Coney Island in July (which I think is totally not her speed) but I think it will be a good experience anyway
I brought her to work the other day when I was working on the Electric Company and she seemed interested in the process of filmmaking & lighting etc. I think at this age, your mind has to be engaged even if it has nothing to do with your school and anything new that is eye opening is enriching. I hope she sees it the same way...
Big City
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment