Sunday, August 09, 2009

Another visitor

It's been awhile since I posted it's been a busy summer. Serene's visit, the house renovation and new job make it pretty hectic.

Serene's visit came and went very quickly. She took care of herself a lot and the last week before she left, I took the week off and we went sightseeing. I pretty much wore her out cos I got a burst of energy which I just didnt have the first 3 weeks she was here. We watched The 39 Steps, shopped in Williamsburg, attended a Yankee game at the new stadium, went to see Wilco, walked the High Line and also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. I enjoyed having her around it was nice to have company. I am often always alone during the week even though I have a lot of freelance friends, I prefer to be by myself.

The house renovation is almost done - well, Phase A anyway. We still have 4 more phases to go! But only the bathroom phase (E) is going to be as crazy. The other phases are very minor compared to what we went through with the kitchen. Today, we will put the house back together again. I am hosting a baby shower for Sarah in 2 weeks and I am pushing hard to make sure everything is as ready as it can get.

The new job is in week 4 and we have another 2 weeks to go. It was annoying during the 2nd week (the 1st week went well) but the past 2 weeks have been up and down. The past week has been up so I'm not complaining. It's a paycheck and it's a good credit and I'm in charge. I can't really beat that.

Only about 5 people read this blog so I don't know whyI havent mentioned it earlier since these people know...Mike and I are expecting. The parasite is due Jan 22, 2010 making me 17 weeks along. I am about 3 weeks into the 2nd trimester. I was really tired the 1st trimester but for the past 3 weeks I have totally regained my previous energy. I have a feeling it's a girl and for now, just as a reference we call it Zoey. It's not the actual name but I always need to name things.

It's felt pretty unreal thus far. I didnt suffer from any real symptoms (a sign that I'm having a girl apparently) I'm starting to show a little and some guys at work are noticing. I won't deny it if people ask but I'm not really volunteering it. I worry that after this job no one will hire a woman who is 5 months along but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

It's strange coming so late to the Mommy train. Some of my friends love being pregnant. That's all they talk about, they love being the centre of attention and constantly draw the conversation to the pregnancy. I'd rather not discuss it - I think this is a matter of life and not really much to be swoony about. Any idiot woman can get pregnant, even teenagers. There's nothing exceptional or new about it. I've always been more interested in what women cannot do rather than what men cannot. I am rather practical that way, I suppose. I rarely romanticise things. Also it's hard, mothers and mothers to be are the most vocal lot. They want to talk about vaginal births vs C-sections, epidurals vs natural and everyone is so anti the other. I don't really care what other mothers do, whatever makes them happy I don't need to lobby for anything. I dont mind a discussion on strollers but arguing about the medical system here in the US ie OB-GYNS vs midwives bores me. I am hoping to get through the next 4 months without getting into it with other mothers to be. It upsets me when women insist on pushing their opinions on you.

Lisa, Irene's 2nd daughter comes in 2 weeks for 1 week. It's a purely recreational visit though, so I wont have to worry about trying to find her work. She and I will walk around, see some stuff and maybe catch a WNBA game or something.

No comments: