Friday, February 26, 2010

7 weeks (almost)

Time doesn't really fly when you have a newborn. The hours go by quickly but the days tend to crawl. At least the growth spurts tend to go by fairly quickly. Marcus is going through one right now and it's characterised by a lot of unexplained crying and general fussiness. It's easy to tell with him cos he is usually quite a happy baby. He doesn't really cry for no reason. On days like today he wants to be held all the time and he wants you to be bouncing on the yoga ball. It's rough on the arms. I try to bjorn him but he hates it too although he will suffer through it for the sake of being bounced. Thanks, Marcus!

March is almost upon us which means at the end of the month, I go back to work. The first 2 weeks in April will be prep then we go full bore mid April. I am excited but also dread the idea of going back mostly because of the loss of control concerning the baby. I interview nannies next week and I have to confess i am not keen on this part of it. The 2nd income will be welcome however although it being so crappy out, we haven't spent much money on ourselves. It's been all baby. A lot of tv shows got cancelled here in NY and the tax incentive is stalling in Albany so I should be grateful i have a job to go back to.

The sleep deprivation is getting easier to handle for me, not so for Mike I think men just are not programmed to handle it and he worst of all. He's always loved to sleep. I take 2 hour catnaps a lot and my biggest chunk of sleep time is 10p to 3am which is a luxury but cuts in on our husband & wife time. I miss that the most. Mike gets home at 730p and after dinner it seems like it's already bed time. I try to approach it like this is a job and when I'm working, this is how it is which makes it easier for me to accept the lack of sleep and the lack of "face time" i have with Mike. Some nights, we have to cram all our conversations so quickly in one sitting, I really miss the times we would leisurely chat and gossip about everything.

So while I am counting the weeks to 12 for Marcus to maybe sleep through the night, it also marks the end of my time at home. Bittersweet.



2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I know you've heard it over and over, but it does get better. I hear you when you say you miss the talks with your hubby. It was easier when I was working, we'd talk throughout the day on instant messanger. Now we have a smatterings of conversation if we're lucky and after 6pm, the rush to get everyone bathed, fed and off to bed takes it's toll.

It's the sleep deprivation that's the killer for us...it tends to amplify all minor issues. I've been sick for the last 48 hours which has been a blessing...I am sleeping a TON more, but I am dreading being "healthy" again and having the insomnia. Weird, I know.

virgochick said...

sleep deprivation is rough. they don't use it as a torture tactic for no reason. it makes it tougher cos Mike is nocturnal and I'm more of a morning person. so he gets grouchy in the morning and i'm not really one to stay up late. it never really made a difference before the baby cos there were plenty of hours to do it all and now there aren't.

I know it's gonna get better. or at least i hear the words...WHEN?? everyone said 6 wks (came and went) and now people say 12 wks. sigh...