Friday, January 29, 2010

Almost 3 weeks old!

It seems like it went by quickly but the days do drag when you have a newborn to try and demystify. We still have latching issues (although we snipped his frenulum off a few days ago) and we still have milk supply issues (although i have doubled my output in a week which is a relief) but I think we have turned the corner finally.

Sometimes he gives us some good nights and sometimes, like last night, he fusses all the time and won't go down after a feed.

Either way, he's started to develop his own schedule. He wakes up at 1 something in the morning and once again at 5am and then at 8am. It's actually not a bad schedule. Throughout the day, it gets more erratic, usually he feeds and sleeps about 2 -3 hours after a feed.

He fusses within reason most times, although I think he has a yeast infection now and have stopped nursing until we figure it out. Until then I am pumping away. I never thought I would start pumping so soon after but this is how it all went down.

I sometimes wonder when I compare stories with friends if I rather have sleeping or feeding issues and I think I take the latter, no contest. At least I can control the feeding issues - if he had problems sleeping, I don't know what I would do.

Mike seems to be coping on the lack of sleep. I tell him to go to bed earlier - we tend to go to bed at 1130p at night and then he takes the 1am feed while I do the 5am feed. At 8am, we are both up, he changes him then I feed him while Mike showers. But I understand why we both are reluctant to go to bed earlier - he gets home from work at 730p. After dinner it's already 9p and we only have 2 hours together. We open a bottle of wine, watch some dvds or tv shows and generally unwind from our day jobs (him at work, me at baby-watching) it's our happy hour so to speak.

As I'm in confinement, we havent had an opportunity to go out much - only on errands related to pediatrician visits or whatnot. But we've had friends and family come visit every weekend and it's nice to have one day (usually Sunday) to ourselves where we hang, the 3 of us. I know people always tell me to enjoy this moment etc but I can't help but wish Marcus was a bit more interactive.

Although he's increasing his active alert time every day, he's still pretty much a blob. I fear just when he gets interesting, I have to go back to work...

1 comment:

Gabriel Ng said...

drinking? be careful.

http://babyparenting.about.com/od/breastfeeding/f/pumpdump.htm