Thursday, July 19, 2007

New Position

Just started a new job - it's slightly different because I am the rigging gaffer on it. Which basically means I jump ahead of the shooting crew and pre-light the locations when necessary. It's more responsibility in terms of logistics and coordination but because this is a low budget movie ($5 million), there are only 9 rigging days. On the big jobs, they have a rigging gaffer on full time and it's an entire department unto itself.
On top of that, the best boy (2nd in the lighting department) is leaving for a week and he's asked me to take over. So there's an overlap of rigging crew and shooting crew duties which might be tricky. I'm nervous to say the least. It's hard to explain because I have been head of the lighting department before (on smaller movies but still) yet being the 2nd is a totally different skill set. It's all about co-ordination, paperwork, logistics and planning ahead. I was hesitant because we were house-hunting but that's now done so I can really concentrate my energies on work.

I feel like I am up for the challenge but who knows?

My first location is tomorrow. A condor (cherry picker) with a 50,000 watt light 125 ft above Times Square.

Yes I know. It's pretty much a trial by fire.... Wish me luck!

No comments: