Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Huge Disappointment

I guess I should have delayed taking the job in CT cos I now have to turn down a $14 million movie as a Rigging Gaffer. It is really disappointing because anything over $10million is considered a 'major' and anything under is considered low budget (there are 3 tiers of low budget, 1 being the smallest upt to $4mill, tier 2 up to $6 mil and 3 up to $10 mil). Our rates reflect that change too so you can make great money doing a major and also gain the kind of experience that only big budgets can afford.

I have been doing union jobs for about 4 years now and I have never held a position of responsibility in a major so this is a huge blow for me. To think I almost had it and could not do it only because I committed to this low budget job makes me so sad. I could jump off this job but that's not really kosher - you develop a bad reputation and tend to burn a bridge. We are ultimately freelancers and have to maintain the contacts we have. Basically I have to live with my decision.

To make things MUCH worse, the CT job I'm on has pushed twice now. If it keeps pushing the start date, it might get cancelled altogether. Their lead actress Melissa George (apparently the next It girl) has to go to Buenos Aires April 19 and if they keep this up, they will lose her. Now wouldn't that just be a double kick in the butt?

Oh well...I hold on to my faith. I know that ultimately it will all work it if it's meant to be.

No comments: