Another friend got laid off today...our friends who had moved here from Australia. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised after all he works at a bank but still...They don't know whether they are going to leave or traipse around the world for 6 months until things get better - it's for certain that if he can't find work here, he probably won't find it in Oz either. For selfish reasons, I don't want any of my friends to leave but it seems not to be the case.
Another friend of mine has to go back to Korea as she just found out that her father has colon cancer. She thinks she will have to go back for a year.
Our partners in owning the house - the Grays - he got laid off too from Merrill Lynch but he works for the IT consultancy company not ML so they just moved him to another company. His commute is now longer but at least he's working.
When Mike got laid off, I thought this worsening economy was getting too close to home but now our neighbours and friends too...it makes me really sad. I'm not really frightened, although I probably should be I guess, but we persevere and hope that things get better for everyone. We just have to barrel through it.
The film business is apparently doing well although there are disputing reports. Not that I can participate much with this knee but it's always comforting to know. The Mayor's office has some stats that say these are the best years of New York's film business by far. The incentive that the city gives (30% rebate) is very much an incentive that works. Thank goodness for that.
Went to see the doctor today and I have to tell you, I think he likes me. I mean 'likes' me. It's nothing sinister but just a feeling I have. It's just the way he treats me...hopefully that liking translates into a successful knee operation!
Anyway he didn't have the MRI results yet, they come out tomorrow, but he said he was operating (pun intended) on the assumption that it was a torn ACL and seeing as I lost the Sherlock Holmes job already, I want to get operated on as soon as possible. He scheduled me for next Wed (pending the MRI result as well as permission from the Worker's Comp people) Two and a half hours and me and some cadaver will be joined together forever. I hope he was a sportsman of some kind. No point giving me an ACL from another weakling like myself right?
I've been listening the to new Snow Patrol album "One Hundred Million Pieces" I've always liked them and this album is good. It suits how I feel right now - pensive and unsure. Everyone should check it out.
Big City
1 year ago
2 comments:
Sorry about losing the job, knew u were looking forward to it...
It's ok. It won't be the last 'great' job I lose. I started last year with a disappointment too. I think it's necessary to realise that work is not as important as everything else...like health and family.
Post a Comment