One more episode to go - we scout tomorrow. Season 2 has been announced and there's talk of coming back in March. I've been cagey about it when they asked me if I want to come back. I was having a lot of fun at the beginning of the job (it sounds silly but I love my jobs because ultimately I have a lot of fun) but towards the end, I'm not sure if it's the pregnancy or the increasing demands at work as we head towards the finale or the weather is getting colder - anyway the last week has been pretty bad for me.
We worked 6 days last week (we had to make up for losing a day on Vet's Day) and of all days it had to be the worst. The crew was tired and cranky (our bodies are built for 70 hour 5 day weeks and it's noticeable when we do over that) and we were out of the stage in 12 hours of rain/snow (which east coast types have a label for - they are like eskimos, they have a name for all kinds of snow - this was "wet snow". Not to be confused with frozen rain or sleet or whatever) and we had 6 hours of day exterior shots and then at the end of the day, we company moved to a new location. (A company move is often avoided as it involves packing up the trucks and everything and moving - it takes time and coordination to move 9 trailers and 10 tractor trailers in NYC) Rough rough day. I lost a few lights - one fell over, one lens cracked in the rain, bulbs went missing, my rigging department head was busted for drinking...it was one thing after another.
We wrapped at 10pm that night (we started at 7am) I couldn't get out of bed till 11am on Sunday even though I was awake at 8am I was just bone tired. I don't physically do any work anymore, I hire plenty of guys and in fact, my policy is: if I don't want to overwork myself, I won't work my guys either so there's always plenty of hands and support even if I have to fight for the extra manpower with Production (and believe me, it's a fight). But the simplest thing like setting up a light becomes so much harder when it's pelting 'wet snow' and you've been in it for 10 hours. I hid mostly in the truck and on set but even going from place to place, you got soaked. I felt bad for my guys. But it's nothing I havent been through before (pre-pregnancy) :shrug:
I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I took a half day. I can feel the concern my guys have for me and it makes me feel worse. I hate knowing so much rides on me, and I cannot just do what I want to do, eat what I want to eat without knowing it affects the baby. Now if I get ill and quit, they would be utterly lost at work - and I'm not exaggerating this. I left for one week in Italy and it was a disaster. With the biggest episode we have coming up - instead of a 7 day episode it's going to be a 10 day episode with explosions, stunts and all, it's a biggie. I just want my body and my life back - i am not against taking care of people, it is what I do, but I don't want to always take care of myself knowing if I dont...the guilt, the guilt!
They are at the stage today which is really on auto-pilot so I'm glad. I told them if I don't feel well, I won't come in. We scout tomorrow and the new episode begins the next day - a particular pet peeve of mine. Usually they give me one day in between so I can prep better. This forces my hand. The last episode was this way and a bad prep is a bad episode for me. This one is going to be 2 days on stage and 8 days on location.
Location work involves a lot. The way we have structured the department on this tv show, I scout which means I decide the lighting. It is extremely rare for the best boy electric to decide the lighting. So on top of the logistics (coordinating with teamsters where to park the trucks, ordering extra generators and equipment, hiring guys, planning the day to facilitate the lighting set ups) I also act as the gaffer and make lighting decisions. I take photos and print them for the gaffer and the cinematographer and consult with them, of course but I just have to go with my instincts if we happen to be shooting the 1st day the day after the scout. Some days I have done great, some days I have tanked. It's been a learning experience for me. Of course, I also have to fight with the Production Manager (a management type who has no clue how much is needed and only deals with numbers) about the right number of guys, equipment and all that. It is exhausting - this particular PM is a little pricky.
Unfortunately, I inherited the rigging department from the old regime so the department head is a fat drunk guy who is great at his job when he's sober and most times, I have to also plan his day as it ultimately affects mine. They are there before me, laying cable and after me, picking up cable. So I manage 2 departments. He's not a bad guy - just unable to pick his times/places to drink. His guys are all drinkers and they are the old school Local 52 where you get a lot out of them early in the morning but the moment you keep them past lunch time, it's a crap shoot if they perform. The PM hates him too, which doesnt help. He always refuses to give him his required manpower which then leaves me to fight for him and that's 2 departments i have to fight for now.
The gaffer leaves the management of them to me - he is a fairly young inexperienced gaffer but he's great at managing up (which is the cinematographer who is a very intense, fidgety, caustic guy) He doesn't like confrontation either. So I do a lot of the liasing between the 2 department heads. Do you know they both make more money than I do? I deal with alcoholics well anyway, in my previous life I was an Irish Local 52 member - I am extremely comfortable with blue collar types.
Next season if there's a next season for me, I won't hire the rigging gaffer back. But until then, we just have to suffer through 2 more weeks. It seemed pointless to fire someone for a month especially since he's been there before I came on the scene. He's been particularly nice these past days as he knows we have been asked back for Season 2. Plus he had the hangover/apologetic/post drinking face on Monday, I've seen that on people's faces all throughout my life (including my husband). It's annoying.
I expected to wrap Dec 18 now with a 10 day episode that's never going to happen...
Big City
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment